Friday, May 25, 2012

Sticky Coconut Rolls

 

 

I've always been making the same cinnamon rolls but this time I decided to experiment with the filling. I love coconut desserts so rolls with coconut filling seemed divine to me. I wasn't wrong! They were super delicious, fluffy, soft, moist and sweet. I especially love the glaze which caramelizes when baking and makes the edges crispy. I called these "sticky", and they really are sticky rolls, but next time I think I will make more glaze :P.


Sticky Coconut Rolls
 
55g sugar
½ tsp salt
50g butter
1 small egg
300g flour
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
¾ cup milk

¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
70g butter
2 tbsp honey
100g desiccated coconut

¾ cup icing sugar
~2-3 tbsp milk


1. make the rolls: cream together the sugar, salt, and butter on medium-high speed in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a large metal spoon and mixing bowl and do it by hand). whip in the egg until smooth. add the flour, yeast, and milk.

2. mix on low speed (or stir by hand) until the dough forms a ball. switch to the dough hook and increase the speed to medium, mixing for approximately 10 minutes (or knead by hand for 12 to 15 minutes), or until the dough is silky and supple, tacky but not sticky. you may have to add a little flour or water while mixing to achieve this texture. lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it around to coat it with oil. cover the bowl with plastic wrap. let rise at room temperature for about 2 hours.

3. mist the counter with spray oil and transfer the dough to the counter. roll out the dough with a rolling pin, lightly dusting the top with flour to keep it from sticking to the pin, into a rectangle about 2/3 inch thick and 14 inches wide by 12 inches long for larger rolls, or 18 inches wide by 9 inches long for smaller rolls. Spread some of the glaze (see recipe below) and sprinkle the coconut over the surface of the dough and roll the dough up into a cigar-shaped log (starting at the long end). with the seam side down, cut the dough into 8 to 12 pieces each about 1 3/4 inches thick for larger rolls, or 12 to 16 pieces each 1 1/4 inch thick for smaller rolls.

4. make the glaze: in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, salt, and butter, at room temperature. cream together for 2 minutes on high speed with the paddle attachment. Add the honey. continue to cream for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Pour half of the glaze onto the bottom of your pan.

5. in your glazed pan, lay the pieces of dough on top of the glaze, spiral side up, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. mist the dough with spray oil and cover loosely with plastic wrap or a food-grade plastic bag. let rise for 75 to 90 minutes, or until the pieces have grown into one another and nearly doubled. preheat the oven to 180 C (350 ) with a rack on the lowest shelf.
6. bake them for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. 
7. cool the rolls in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. wait at least 20 minutes before serving.

8. Mix the icing sugar with milk and pour the glaze over the rolls.







9 comments:

  1. I love the shape!! IT's like all in one, muffin and roll!!

    I don't like a lot the coconut texture, but my boyf enjoys coconut, so sometimes, "I have to make" some recipe with coconut. Never try a non-cinnamon-roll (as I call them!) with it. I have used lime, and chocolate, but usually make the tradicional cinnamon.

    Perhaps I can make this one day, even if they won't be my favourite flavour ;) It sounds like a nice non-cinnamon summer roll, as the one with lime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them really looked like muffins because I had some remaining dough which didn't fit into my pan! So I placed it into a ramekin :p
      Wow I haven't heard of lime rolls but I loooove everything lime/lemon flavoured! I hope I'll try it out someday :D

      Delete
  2. I know how well these can taste! Surely this is is an amazing variety when cinnamon gets a little tiring :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Cinnamon rolls are amazing but it's interesting to experiment with the flavours :)

      Delete
  3. These sound phenomenal! I am a coconut addict it has to be said, so what I would give to try some of these lovelys...mm..gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like coconut you must try these! Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Gabi,

    hope alls well in Cyprus... those coconut rolls look amazing.. hope to get to try them soon. Take care!

    Big K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Everything's well in Cyprus, i'm going home after 20 days and i'll post some delicious recipes! hope you're fine.

      Delete
  5. hope to see you before you leave!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...